BCI PhD Student Wins SAMPE UK Competition

We are proud to announce that PhD student Nicolas DARRAS has won the 2024 SAMPE UK & Ireland Student Seminar Competition, alongside Badr Moutik from University of Plymouth.

Nic’s presentation titled “Investigation on the manufacture of hierarchical composites and their mechanical compressive performances” impressed the judges and a result he will be representing SAMPE UK at the SAMPE Europe competition (part of the SAMPE Europe conference taking place in Belfast in September).

Nic said “Participating in the SAMPE Student Seminar competition was a tremendous experience, allowing me to enhance my presentation skills and shine a light on the novel research within the NextCOMP programme. As one of the UK representatives, I eagerly anticipate the SAMPE Europe conference in September, where I’m excited to showcase our innovative projects on an international stage.”

Tim Wybrow, SAMPE UKIC Chairman, said, “I am really impressed with all the student researchers this year. We have decided as a committee that as a congratulations and thank you for their efforts, each participant will be offered a complimentary one-year membership to the organisation.”